Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Some Changes

I liked the High Museum fairly well, but felt that it really lacked some kind of interaction, and I definitely did not feel like I needed to go back to the museum ever again.  I was like, okay I’ve seen the museum and there is no need to see it again.  There won’t be anything new about it if I go again next year or in five years. 

So, that got me to thinking about the museum in a different light.  What could make the museum more interesting to young people?  Why don’t they have cool activities like the Coca-Cola Museum?  The Coca-Cola Museum has a tasting room and a video room.  They have things to get their visitors involved.  It’s not just art pieces lined up on a wall. 

I don’t think an art museum has to feel stuffy.  I understand that it has to have some kind of ambience so that you will treat the artwork with some kind of reverence. But, perhaps the museum should have buttons that you push under the artwork so that you can get information about the paintings, like what was the artist trying to capture in the painting, or who is the person in the painting. It would also be great to get historical information about the artists.  I’d like to know about who the artist is.  Maybe see a picture of them, just some kind of information that makes it more personal. My mom told me about the exhibit she saw.  It was Monet & Bazille.  She said Monet and Bazille were friends and they traveled and painted together.  When that exhibit was at the High Museum, the paintings were displayed together and you got a little glimpse into their personal life.  She said these artists came alive to her by seeing them in this light.

1 comment:

  1. I personally like art museums, though I prefer science and history museums. No, they don't have to feel stuffy, but there are some things that I really like. I enjoy looking at the different works and how they are organized as well as interpreting each work for myself. I see what you're saying about buttons and such telling you about the artwork, but I personally prefer to have it left up to my own interpretation as far as what the artist is saying or capturing. I think that's what most museums try to do when they don't have such information laid out for you. Historical information is one thing, and I agree that such an aspect would surely be fascinating, but I wouldn't like someone telling me what the piece is about. I enjoy figuring it out myself and having discussions about the different interpretations. Those are just my thoughts though.

    ReplyDelete