Saturday, February 26, 2011

Fun for Children

 The Greene Family Learning Center is located on the main level in the High Museum. This center is dedicated for pre-school children to children that are 10 years of age.  There are hands on activities for the children to play with and experience art.  


 When you first approach the entrance, you are greeting by vivid murals inviting you in.  The painting depicts an old country with dirt roads, colorful trees, and a little school house.  The grownups were doing outside chores while the children were playing about. You instantly think something fun is behind those walls and you want to investigate.  Well, I certainly wanted to investigate.

Upon entering the center, I saw several children playing around.  There were different centers for the children to play with art.  I met Carol inside this learning center.  She is an education volunteer at the High Museum.  I asked her if I could interview her to find out what kind of role she plays at the museum and why she is interested in art.


Me:  How long have you been volunteering at the High Museum? What do you do here?
Carol:  I have been volunteering here since August. Today I am volunteering in the Greene Education Center.  They have events like the Toddler Thursdays, so I come down and help if I am needed. I may be assisting in the Greene Education Center or greeting at the front door.  Just anywhere they need me.
Me:  What got you into art?
Carol:  I have been an artist all of my life.  I was creating things as a young child.  I knew I wanted to be an artist when I was in high school.
Me:  Are you an artist now?
Carol:  I am currently attending Perimeter College.  I am finishing my last two education classes.  Then I will go to Georgia State for my studio classes.  I taught art in school for the last six years.  I am taking a break right now to finish my school.  But, I have taught elementary, middle, and high school art.  I did this class for my high school students where the end result was to paint a fantasy landscape because fantasy illustration is so big in video games.  We painted large murals for the landscapes.  The students were really able to get creative and do some wonderful things.  In another class, I made them illustrate music.  We played different bits of music from screamo  to classic to rock.  They had to listen to it.  They couldn’t draw a picture, but they had to illustrate it through music and color. It was really fun.

Wow, I wish I would have had an art teacher like Carol.  Perhaps I would have had more of an appreciation for art if I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment